On the market in this day and age, there are a lot of oil types for you to choose from for your vehicle. However, the best 0W-20 Synthetic Oil is what you need. Many car manufacturers across the country choose 0W-20 oil because they are great if you drive in cold weather.
Still, you need to know what 0W-20 means in all reality. This code of classification was made by the Society of Automotive Engineering or SAE. Specifically, this code primarily targets viscosity, but we will get into that later.
In particular, the “W” stands the winter specification, while the “0” speaks to the viscosity of the oil temperature. With such a low number, the “0” is the low temperature that the oil’s viscosity is, while the “20 is the high temp. Generally speaking, this means that the oil will thicken less in colder temperatures, which means that the fridge temperatures will not freeze up your vehicle with this oil.
Now that you know that the 0W-20 oil is, let us get into which one to buy, shall we? Today, we will hit the top-12 0W-20 oils that you can purchase on the market. Then, you will be able to handle the choice on your own.
- Things to Consider When Buying 0W-20 Synthetic Oil
- The Best 0W-20 Synthetic Oil Reviews:
- 1. AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil
- 2. ZEPRO Eco Medalist OW-20 Engine Oil
- 3. Royal Purple SAW 0W-20 High-Performance Motor Oil
- 4. Idemitsu Full Synthetic 0W-20 Engine Oil
- 5. Castrol GTX Magnatec Motor Oil
- 6. Mag 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
- 7. Castrol Edge 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil
- 8. Valvoline Advanced 0W-20 Motor Oil
- 9. Pennzoil Platinum Fully Synthetic Motor Oil
- 10. Liquimoly 0W-20 Special Tec AA Motor Oil
- 11. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Motor Oil
- 12. Mobil 1 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Best 0W-20 Synthetic Oil: Editor’s Top Picks
Things to Consider When Buying 0W-20 Synthetic Oil
When you are figuring out the best 0W-20 Synthetic Oil, there are certainly a few features that set a particular oil above the rest. So, check out this list. This way, you will be well on your way to figuring out what synthetic oil is best for you and your vehicle.
1. Fighting Corrosion & Rust
As you are searching for the best synthetic oil for you, you need a substance that can fight against rust and corrosion. Nothing kills an engine quicker than one that has rust and corrosion going on inside. If you have the right substance, it will keep your engine from falling apart. Then, it will run smoothly for all the world to see.
2. Sealing Your Engine
Another great feature you need with your engine oil is seal-proofing technology. With good oil, your engine will be sealed, so no particles get inside to trouble your ride. Added elements will not destroy your precious vehicle. In turn, you will have a car’s engine that handles the roadways well.
3. Great Lubricant
Every oil brand needs to be classified as a phenomenal lubricant. When an engine is completely covered with oil, the pistons and other machine parts will keep the engine in check. This way, you will not have to worry about your engine not getting what it deserves. And your engine deserves the very, very best.
4. Getting Economical
If you are a fan of the environment, you must understand the economical benefit of the motor oil you are choosing. Having an economical motor oil helps in a few ways. First, this type of motor oil does a great job getting your miles per gallon up, so you can drive more and spend less money on gas. You will save more money than you ever thought possible here.
Secondly, you must find a motor oil company that cares about the environment. It is no secret that cars can pollute the environment. However, there are motor oil brands out there that have worked extremely hard to find ways to keep the pollution to a minimum. This way, they are saving the planet one vehicle at a time.
The Best 0W-20 Synthetic Oil Reviews:
1. AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil
AmazonBasics has done an amazing job of making similar products, as some of the best on the market today. This next option is no exception. With your purchase, you will receive SN Plus oil. Each bottle is filled with 1 Quart of oil, and you will receive a 6-pack with your order.
When adding this oil to your vehicle, make sure to use your manufacturer’s recommendation for the best results. Within a few days, you will receive your 6-pack of oil that only weighs 2 pounds per bottle. Specifically, this motor oil was created to help with intervals that take longer to drain. This is truly a better version than other traditional synthetic blends.
With lubrication that is undoubtedly the best to protect your engine, the entire mechanism will run smoothly and efficiently. You can use this oil to top off your engine oil or for a full oil change. It is this type of oil that will play a huge part in treating your vehicle’s engine the right way.
Lastly, you can have peace of mind knowing that this oil is approved by major oil testing companies. Some of these companies include Gen 2, API SN, and ILSAC GF-5 to name a few. In turn, you know this oil will bring quality to the car, not destruction.
- Prevents corrosion and rust
- Limits friction to wear your engine less
- Is highly resistant to thermal issues
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions
- Distributed by world-renowned Warren Distribution
- The oil bottle is not well-designed
- Oil is not meant for turbo engines
2. ZEPRO Eco Medalist OW-20 Engine Oil
ZEPRO is one of the best motor oil options around for you to consider. First, you can purchase it in 1 or 5-quart cartons. When working with this brand, make sure that you check out the manufacturer’s manual to make sure that you are doing everything right. This oil is supported by the SN, API, and ILSAC GF-5 to name a few.
When using this oil, you will be getting great friction reduction tech that is more advanced than most options out there on the market today. To help with fuel economy, give ZEPRO a shot to wow you. Something else you will love about this oil is the fact it uses detergent chemistry. With this in mind, you will not have to worry about pre-ignition issues will low speeds. This specifically works for completely turbocharged engines.
This oil has been tested in Europe, as well as North America. As you can imagine, there are stringent specifications that have to live up to and ZEPRO does that very, very well. With control over high temp deposits and thermal stability, there is not anything this oil cannot do for turbocharged engines.
- Each quart weighs less than 2 pounds
- Helps vehicles with high loads
- Made by Idemitsu who is one of the largest car manufacturers in the entire world
- Will give you added mileage and a smoother start
- Your engine will run quieter
- More expensive than other options because it works with turbo engines
- Advanced features like Anti-LSPI is unneeded
3. Royal Purple SAW 0W-20 High-Performance Motor Oil
When it comes to Royal Purple Motor Oil, there is no substitute. As an API-licensed motor oil, this wonderful option will be great for your vehicle’s engine. First off, you can buy this oil is a lot of different options like 6 1-quarts, 1-quart, 5-quarts, 5 gallons, and much, much more.
After you have made your decision on what kind of oil to purchase, make sure that you check out the recommendations in your owner’s manual to help you outright.
With a premium oil base, Royal Purple outdoes themselves here. They insert additives that are perfect for a high-performance engine, by giving you the best protection around. Ultimately, Royal Purple loves the fact that they can fight metal-to-metal contact, so it never happens in your wonderful engine.
Without unnecessary friction, the emission system will be better protected in the long run. Then, you will not have to worry about rust or corrosion either. So, if you have a light truck, sedan, or compact vehicle, Royal Purple is a great option for you to consider.
- Perfect for diesel or gasoline vehicles
- Meets requirements for warranty in the United States of America and Canada
- The ZDDP additives help out your catalyst system
- Royal Purple motor oil can be used perfectly in older engines
- Will help your vehicle drive smoother
- Container design makes measuring your oil a pain
- The consistency of purple makes it hard to know if your oil is clean or dirty
4. Idemitsu Full Synthetic 0W-20 Engine Oil
Another full synthetic engine oil comes to us from Idemitsu. As one of the best 0W-20 synthetic oil varieties on the market, you may fall in love with this brand very, very quickly. It comes in 1-quart and 5-quart quantities that you can use to your advantage. Additionally, this oil is approved by licensure companies such as API, ILSAC GF-5, and SN.
With this brand, you will be able to improve your fuel economy, by having a great base of oils to keep engine friction at bay. It is additive technologies like this one that you will be wowed with. Also, you will receive exceptional protection against engine wear and tear. This oil will not allow deposits to make their way on your engine, causing the worst havoc possible. Even under severe weather conditions, this motor oil comes out on top.
Cleanliness is another thing you will appreciate about this motor oil. You will have limited burn-off issues, and your emissions will be reduced as well in the process. Ultimately, make sure that you check your user’s manual for the vehicle to make sure that you are using this motor oil to its peak performance.
- This oil has improved lubrication capabilities
- Extends intervals of the oil’s drain
- The oil reduces waste
- Limits greenhouse gas emissions
- Has received countless certifications praising Idemitsu for its oil that is better for the environment than most oils
- Many find this oil too expensive
- The oil runs a little thinner than most 0W-20 options
5. Castrol GTX Magnatec Motor Oil
Castrol motor oil may be one of the most heard-off options on planet Earth when it comes to vehicles. These fully synthetic options come in a variety of sizing options, such as 6 1-quarts, 5-quarts, and 24-quarts to name a few. When using the product, check out your owner’s manual or search online to figure out what you need to do to be successful when changing motor oil out of your vehicle.
Some great things that you will like about Castrol involve maintenance and stability. If you are a fan of reducing wear and tear on your engine, then this oil is certainly for you. Additionally, you will feel your vehicle running smoother because of Castrol as well.
With added layers of protection from this motor oil, you can bet that this option sticks to your engine for the best lubrication around. So, if you own brands like General Motors or Ford, know that this option has been tested and recommended to work wonders on your vehicle. Since the first 20-minutes of your engine running is the most essential time to have the best protection, do not sell yourself short and by Castrol as your next best synthetic oil.
- Tested with the Sequence IVA wear test
- Your vehicle will run 4 times as smooth
- Perfect to store in dry, warm environments
- Can last up to 3 years after purchase
- Improves your overall mileage
- Not ideal for extremely cold weather
- Not tested for Dodge, Jeep, or Chrysler brand vehicles
6. Mag 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Are you still interested in the top OW-20 motor options? Well, then you cannot forget about Mag 1. In a 5-quart jug, you will see very quickly why this motor oil is a performance brand that many across the world love. With the help of your user’s manual, you will be well on your way to using this motor oil to the best of your abilities.
The Mag 1 oil does a great job of formulating a synthetic base that will last and last in your vehicle. With prevention against engine wear and tear, you will love this brand, especially if you own a General Motors vehicle. Specifically, General Motors vehicles have been tested with Mag 1, and they are certified to use this oil first and foremost. They even have a warranty to boot.
Lastly, it is the chemistry of this motor oil that helps reduce sludge in an engine to almost zero. With this in mind, performance levels are improved by 65%, compared to other leading brands. As a 100% synthetic oil base, Mag 1 is certainly a motor oil option you should take interest in.
- Resistant to oxidation thickening issues
- Helps reduce draining from your battery
- The bottle will not leak on you
- Meets API specifications
- Handles temperatures between 20 – 100 degrees Celcius
- The engine can sound a little noisier with this motor oil
- Idling can feel rougher with this option
7. Castrol Edge 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil
Another great option from Castrol is its Edge option. As one of the best 0W-20 synthetic motor oil, you will love how it comes in a 5-quart container to help fill your engine upright. When flushing out your old oil and putting in your new Castrol Edge, make sure to check out your owner’s manual to make sure you are on the right track with all the appropriate specifications.
Castrol has found that this oil, in particular, is sensational at fighting deposits from sticking on your engine block. How good? Experts from Castrol believe that they get a 42% better spike in fighting power than other leading brands. Conventional oils truly do not have a chance against this amazing synthetic oil.
Are you worried about oxidation and wear as well? Have no fear because this oil technology has you covered here, too. Specifically, Castrol Edge is perfect for Honda, Toyota, Lexus, and Acura models to name a few. With standards meet by the API SN and ACEA B1 to name a few, there is a lot to like about Castrol Edge.
- Used Fluid Titanium Technology
- Limits friction by 10%
- This is a Group IV oil
- The presentation design on the bottle is flawless
- The oil lasts longer in your engine than other leading brands
- Not approved for BMWs
- Can be expensive compared to other synthetic oils
8. Valvoline Advanced 0W-20 Motor Oil
This 5-quart variety, from Valvoline Advanced, also comes in another option such as 1-quart. Ultimately, check with your manufacturer’s recommendations to see what is best for you and your vehicle. With Valvoline Advanced, you will see your engine cleaner, and you will not have to deal with sludge issues again.
Valvoline Advanced also has varnish protection. This will allow your engine to stay fresh and clean for as long as you own it. With stellar protection in high-temperature settings, this motor oil can handle bitter cold conditions as well. No matter, your start-up in your vehicle will still go very smoothly.
Fuel efficiency is something you will notice as well. You will get better miles per gallon (mph) that you ever thought possible. Since Valvoline Advanced is compatible with other synthetics, your car will handle this substance very nicely. Get ready to be wowed with this great motor oil for you and your vehicle.
- Handles heat, wear and tear, and unnecessary deposits with ease
- Valvoline Advanced protects better than 50% of other brands on the market today
- An easy pour bottle works well when putting this motor oil in any engine
- Valvoline knows what they are doing because they have been around for over 150 years
- Made in the United States of America
- Some question the quality of this oil because of the consistency
- Other brands are said to keep the engine cleaner than Valvoline Advanced
9. Pennzoil Platinum Fully Synthetic Motor Oil
Pennzoil is another trusted brand when it comes to the best 0W-20 Synthetic Oil that money can buy. But, remember that your user’s manual can give you an idea of what will work for you and what will not. Still, if you like protection and the loss of friction, this motor oil is certainly for you and your vehicle.
Some of you might have the experience where your engine loses power altogether. This is a nasty state of affairs, but Pennzoil’s motor oil can help protect against this type of issue. Especially if you are dealing with super-low temperatures, you will love that this oil will get your engine running quickly and smoothly. The same can be said in extreme heat.
Are you also a fan of cleanliness? This Pennzoil motor oil does a great job of keeping your pistons clean of debris like never before. Since the oil itself is made out of natural gas, you will love the fact that this substance is as clean as it gets in the automotive industry.
With the oil base at 99.5%, you can expect few to no impurities. Additionally, you will have an oil that is high-quality because it is made of crude oil. Lastly, if you like to protect your horsepower, Pennzoil is a great addition to keep away deposits and basic wear and tear. You will find few motor oils that are better than this one.
- Approved by the FCA and Ford
- Oil is inexpensive for the quality that you receiver from it
- You will not have to change your oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles with Pennzoil
- Pennzoil offers a 10-year warranty on engines with their oil
- The oil comes with rebate possibilities
- Safety seal can break easily
- The oil can leak from the poorly designed bottle
10. Liquimoly 0W-20 Special Tec AA Motor Oil
You may not have heard of this next brand like with the Castrol and Pennzoil’s of the world, but you should get to know Liquimoly motor oil. In 1 and 5 liter options, this oil works best when you follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for your car. After that, the oil will work like a few you have ever seen before.
This German product is one of the most popular versions in Europe. It is also starting to make waves here in the United States of America. For over 60 years, Liquimoly has made its name on protecting engines just like yours. Liquimoly does great in BMWs, Chevy’s, and GMCs to name a few. Check out this product if you are looking for something a little different, but the still amazing value in the process.
- This oil is 100% synthetic that is approved in North America
- Does an amazing job cleaning the wear and tear of a vehicle’s engine
- Fuel contamination is not a worry with this motor oil
- Your engine will sound like a diesel with this motor oil
- You will save gas in this long run with Liquimoly
- Not ideal for Toyota vehicles
- Some do not like the additives in this motor oil
11. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Motor Oil
Mobil 1 is certainly another alternative that is worth your consideration at this time. With advanced fuel economy technology, this motor oil is ideal for brands like Toyota, Nissan, GM, and Honda to name a few. As a fully synthetic oil, this option is approved by Dexos for better gasoline engines. Also, Nascar sponsors this oil to help its vehicles run safely and smoothly.
Weighing in at only 2.2 pounds, this 5-quart jug will help you fill any engine the right way. Known to help your mileage and longevity of your engine, you will love the way Mobil 1 works for you. Give it a shot to earn your respect.
- Ideal for with a wide assortment of temperatures
- The engine will sound smoother and nicer
- Perfect for Lexus and Toyota models
- Only need to change this oil at 7,500 miles
- Adds extra mpg with this oil
- Safety seal can break easily
- Printing on the package can be removed too simply
12. Mobil 1 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil
The last oil on our list is another Mobil 1 option. This synthetic oil comes in 1 quart and 5.1-quart possibilities. Remember, as you are going through the right oil choices, that you need to check out your owner’s manual to see what oil you need and how it works with your car’s engine.
Specifically, this brand is stellar for SUVs, cars, and trucks of many makes and models like Mercury, Toyota, Ford, and much, much more. If you are looking for low-temp protection, your engine will run like brand new. Some want to know how low the engine oil will handle. -53 degrees Fahrenheit is the standard that Mobil 1 uses with this oil. On the other hand, it can take up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit of heat. This is a wide spectrum that makes Mobil 1 fantastic.
- The oil allows for quick flow to your engine for added protection
- Amazing fuel economy
- This option is great for gasoline and hybrid cars
- You will have a great extended performance with this oil
- Sensational value for the money you pay
- Rebates do not come consistently
- Not ideal for Hondas
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
There are a lot of questions out there about what motor oil to buy. However, with so many, we thought it would be a good idea to narrow down the most important questions for the topic. Then, you can get focused on what are the most important things for you and your vehicle.
#1 – Why should I use synthetic oil over excess oil?
Synthetic oil is some of the best in the business. You may think you are saving a buck or two by going excess, but there are some major flags here. First, excess oil will be a waste of your hard-earned money. Secondly, excess oil can hurt your vehicle’s engine. Instead, find a synthetic that is long last and works with a vehicle like yours.
#2 – Can synthetic motor oil be used on a motorcycle?
We have talked a lot about using synthetic oil with cars and trucks, but what about a motorcycle. The great thing about synthetic oil is the fact that motorcycles can use this substance as well. Since it fits in motorcycles, you can expect all the same benefits that you would get putting a synthetic motor in a vehicle.
#3 – Is there a problem with low viscosity levels?
There is not a huge problem with having low viscosity levels, first and foremost. However, this is only if you are dealing with moderate weather year-round, in a place like the state of Florida. But, if you live in a place like Colorado, where it gets hot, hot in the summer, and cold, cold in the winter, you probably need to find a high viscosity level oil.
#4 – Is it alright if I use 0W-20 oil in place of the 5W-20 oil?
In terms of temperature, these two oils are very similar to each other. However, the thickness of each oil is what sets the two apart. The 0W oil has a thinner makeup, which is great for the lowest temperatures. On the other hand, 5W does better in warmer temperatures.
Now that we have gone through the best 0W-20 Syntethic oil, it is time for you to make a big decision. Sure, you have a list of products to consider, a buyer’s guide, and FAQs, but you ultimately have to make this choice on your own. However, do not stress yourself out. You have everything that you need to be successful.
This way, you can pick the right oil, add it to your vehicle, and start reaping all the benefits you deserve. Then, you will be on the road for extended miles wherever life takes you. With so much to see and so much to do, trust the decision you made with the right motor oil, so then you can have all the fun you ever dreamed of. Happy trails!