Last Updated on
In an age where the vast majority of people are now concerned with making healthy eating choices, it’s more important than ever to ensure that you have the right kitchen tools and utensils to provide healthy meals for you and your family. In this article, we take a look at the best broiler pans available on the market right now.
If you have decided to shift to healthier choices, a broiler pan is a great place to start. Using this kitchen utensil comes with a ton of benefits for your health. It will also help to expedite cooking times while allowing you to use the least oil possible when producing delicious, healthy meals.
10 Best Broiler Pans: Our Recommendation
|1. Sur La Table Broiler Pan|
|2. Nordic Ware Nonstick|
|3. Granite Ware Bake|
|4. Norpro 273 Broil/Roast Pan|
|5. Whirlpool 4396923 Porcelain Pan|
|6. OvenStuff Non-Stick Toaster|
|7. Disposable Aluminum Foil Pan|
|8. General Electric WB48X10056 Large Pan|
|9. Range Kleen Porcelain Pan|
|10. Basic Broiler Pan|
However, identifying the best pan for your needs isn’t as easy as using it. That’s why in this review article, we have laid out 10 of the best options that you can choose from, as well as a handy buying guide that provides all the information you need to make the right choice.
- Top 10 Best Broiler Pans Review:
- 1. Sur La Table Broiler Pan
- 2. Nordic Ware Nonstick
- 3.Granite Ware Bake
- 4. Norpro 273 Broil/Roast Pan
- 5. Whirlpool 4396923 Porcelain Pan
- 6. OvenStuff Non-Stick Toaster
- 7. Disposable Aluminum Foil Broiler Baking Cooking Pan
- 8. General Electric WB48X10056 Large Pan
- 9. Range Kleen Porcelain Pan
- 10. Basic Broiler Pan
- Buying Guide: Things To Consider When Buying A Broiler Pan
- How To Cook With A Broiler Pan
- Cleaning The Broiler Pan
- Substitute For Broiler Pan
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Broiler Pans
Top 10 Best Broiler Pans Review:
1. Sur La Table Broiler Pan
One thing most homemakers will tell you is how hard it is to find tough, high-quality cookware when you are on a limited budget. That’s why this broiler pan from such a well-known brand is an absolute must-have.
In addition to being affordably priced, it ticks all the boxes when it comes to quality and all the other essential features that make up the best broiler pans available today. It’s made from stainless steel, which means it can withstand extremely high temperatures. This makes it perfect for broiling meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, and much more.
Furthermore, you can use the top and the bottom for broiling, but you can also use the base alone for roasting. This is, in essence, a multifunctional product that provides a ton of convenience and makes a great addition to any kitchen. It’s also incredibly stylish and can fit into most ovens of standard size.
This broiler pan is very easy to clean and all you need to do after removing your food from it is to separate the trays and then soak them in hot soapy water. This allows the dishwashing liquid to effectively cut through all the baked in grease.
If you are searching for a high-quality and affordable broiler, then your options don’t come much better than this offering from Sur La Table.
- Durable stainless steel construction
- Very easy to clean by hand or in the dishwasher
- Bottom trays can be separated and used for roasting or baking
- Very affordable pricing
- Fits in most standard ovens
2. Nordic Ware Nonstick
If you are interested in investing in high-quality cookware that will stand the test of time, this is a product that you need to take a look at. You will be able to take advantage of its many features at a very competitive price.
Suitable for meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, and even fruits and cheeses, this broiler pan comes with a drip pan as well as a broiling rack. At 15 inches in length, it’s suitable for those with big families or for use when catering for large gatherings. You will be able to make all sorts of delicious meals that are well-cooked thanks to a state-of-the-art design which promotes even heating.
This set will meet any and all of your broiling needs. It’s specifically formulated using try-ply construction where a carbon steel core is encased between two layers of aluminum to give you fast, even heating as well as efficient heat retention. This pan also has a non-stick coating which allows quick and easy cleanup.
For added convenience, you can wash this set in the dishwasher and it even features side handles so that you can easily transport and use it. The broiler pan features a slotted rack which helps to drain the oil from the food directly into the pan underneath, helping you create healthier and better-tasting food. This is undoubtedly the best pan for broiling a steak.
- The two-piece set allows you to broil all kinds of meat, fish, and vegetables
- Ribbed broiling rack allows fats to drain off your food
- It comes with a multi-purpose baking pan
- 15 x 10 x 1-inch dimensions ideal for most ovens
- Non-stick cooking surface allows you to use less oil when cooking
3.Granite Ware Bake
Made in the US, this three-piece set includes a pan for baking, broiling, and grilling. Granite Ware products have been known to cook more evenly and brown better than most other roasters out there. Made using carbon steel, this type of pan is a lot stronger and more reliable than foil-type pans.
It has porcelain fused to the steel’s surface at over 2000°F to produce a non-porous, naturally non-stick inert glass surface. It’s important to note that the porcelain can chip if it’s dropped, but this doesn’t reduce the cookware’s effectiveness.
This set is ideal for making small meals of meat, fish, vegetables, etc. You can use the grill pan directly on the barbecue to help prevent fish from flaking on to the burners. During winter, you can use the grill rack for cooking meat in the oven, with the pan underneath to keep it all clean.
The porcelain-on-steel construction makes this pan a lot stronger and much safer to use than all other foil-type pans. The perforated tray which comes with this set is perfect for cooking vegetables and fish, and the base can actually be used as a lasagna pan or roasting pan. You can cook then serve your meal right from the pan.
The size of this set makes it easy to clean in the sink. You’ll be able to soak it so that there is minimal scrubbing required. If you’re searching for a broiler pan that is affordable, high-quality, and easy to use and clean, then this is one of the best broiler pans to consider.
- Extremely affordable pan made in the US
- Cooks more evenly and browns food better than most other pans
- Dark interior for maximum absorption of the oven’s energy
- Steel core for even distribution of heat
- Three-piece set for baking, broiling, and grilling
4. Norpro 273 Broil/Roast Pan
Measuring 12 inches long, this broiler pan set comes with two pieces made from stainless steel with the top tray having a perforated design which allows grease to drain off easily as you cook. The bottom tray catches the grease to keep your oven looking clean, and together these pieces ensure that all the food you cook is not only tastier and better-looking but healthier too.
If you are searching for a broiler pan that is strong and durable, easy to clean, and the ideal size for standard ovens, then this could be it. This stainless broiler pan is ideal for either individual or two-person servings and you can use it for rib-and-loin cuts of meat, fish, shellfish, boneless chicken, bread, vegetables, and much more.
Although it is dishwasher safe, hand-washing is highly recommended as this will prolong the life of your broiler pan. The Norpro brand is well-known for consistently producing the highest caliber kitchenware and this product is no different. It offers superior craftsmanship and is designed to meet and exceed the expectations of customers all over the world.
- Ideal size for one or two-person servings
- Two-piece stainless steel design for durability
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Very affordable pricing
- Ideal for broiling all types of meat and vegetables
5. Whirlpool 4396923 Porcelain Pan
If you have ever set foot in a kitchen before, then the odds are you’ve heard about the Whirlpool brand. Known for its high-quality appliances, this company doesn’t disappoint when it comes to their broiler pans which are growing in popularity. If you have decided that it’s time to get a new broiler pan for your kitchen, this is definitely one of the products that deserve your consideration.
With this Whirlpool broiler pan, you’ll be able to create scrumptious, healthy, and quick meals for your family. Great for broiling vegetables, poultry, and all types of meat, this pan fits in a wide range of ovens to deliver great performance every time.
Made from durable, robust porcelain, it’s safe to clean in the dishwasher and also easy to clean by hand. The expansive size of this offering from Whirlpool means that you can fit a significant amount of food on it to feed large numbers of people at one time. It broils everything to perfection and the unique shape helps to prevent splatter leaving your oven clean after each broiling session.
In addition to all that, the specially-shaped grids on the surface will ensure adequate draining of fat through the bottom. This facilitates even cooking of your food from the intense dry heat and results in perfect charring and a great caramelized taste.
- 5-inch pan is perfect for large meals
- Durable porcelain finish gives amazing non-stick properties
- Dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning
- Works well with most ovens
- High-quality construction at a competitive price
6. OvenStuff Non-Stick Toaster
This two-piece set from OvenStuff brand comes with an 8.5-inch roast pan as well as a broiling pan. The pan allows you to make healthy single-serving dishes like bacon, fish, and chicken by eliminating the excess fat from the meat. The size of this set is ideal for smaller ovens such as those in apartments, dorm rooms, and vacation rentals.
Proudly made in the US, this product boasts the proprietary non-stick finish from DuraGlide. If you are searching for a broiling and baking set that is high-quality, versatile, and affordable, then this could very well be what you’re looking for.
It does all that it promises and more, and although there have been reports of the pan warping a little under broil heat, it’s important to note that as soon as it cools, it goes back to its original shape.
This is undoubtedly one of the best broiler pans that you will get for this price. When compared to other products in the same category, it comes out as a clear winner, offering a lot of features for a significantly lower price.
- Two-piece value set includes a bake and roast pan
- Broil pan helps to eliminate excess fats from meat and other foods
- Non-stick finish thanks to DuraGlide coating
- Stainless steel construction for easy cleaning and maintenance
- High-quality, American-made product
7. Disposable Aluminum Foil Broiler Baking Cooking Pan
If you have a need for a disposable aluminum broiling pan, this is a great product that you absolutely must check out. This handy-foil 13-inch pan is ideal for broiling, catching grease, and keeping oil away from your food.
With this product, you no longer have to worry about messy and stressful cleanups. Just use it once and throw away. This is a nice medium-sized pan which will allow you to cook a meal for a small family. And if you’re concerned about whether your food might taste differently, you need not worry. Your food will be just as scrumptious and healthy as any food cooked in any other type of broiler pan.
Proudly made in the US by Handi-foil of America, this disposable pan is also OU Kosher-certified. If you need a quick and easy way of cooking light meals that require no cleanup afterward, then this is a great alternative to the traditional broiler pans. You can buy as many as you like and store them so you have them handy when needed.
- Very convenient for cooking light meals
- Affordable pricing
- Can be used in the regular oven on broil
- Perfect size for smaller ovens
- Also great for outdoor grills
8. General Electric WB48X10056 Large Pan
This large broiler pan is ideal for anyone who owns a general electric oven. It is designed to be replacement part but it’s also suitable for a wide range of other stoves as well. This means that almost anyone with a large oven stands to benefit from perfectly broiled meats, fish, poultry, vegetables, and other types of food in no time.
The high-quality broiler pan comes with a rack that makes the entire broiling process a lot smoother. It has venting slits and it also has a porcelain coating. The color and style tie in with the majority of cookware styles and kitchen themes.
If you are looking for a high-quality, stylish, and affordable broiler pan to cater to the needs of a large family, then this is one you should take a look at. Because of its size, this broiler pan allows you to prepare food in large quantities, making it ideal even for gatherings and parties.
- Extremely affordable pricing for a high-quality product
- Durable construction from premium materials
- The non-stick coating makes cooking a breeze
- Serrated design helps to ensure perfect results every time
- Dishwasher-safe for easy cleanup
9. Range Kleen Porcelain Pan
The best broiler pans help to cook all the food you need at one time while ensuring that it’s evenly cooked in the healthiest way possible. That’s exactly what this broiler pan does. You can use it to make a wide variety of dishes in the shortest amount of time possible. Another benefit of this pan is that it heats the food evenly all around, which means it’s properly cooked both inside and out.
The grill rack that comes with the pan is made of high-quality material and is dishwasher safe. The non-stick coating of the pan means that you can cook many different kinds of food without having to worry about the issue of stuff sticking to and getting hard-baked on to your broiling pan.
If you generally use such a utensil every day, then this is a great option for your needs because it specifically designed to be durable and long-lasting even under heavy use. Whether you want to cook meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, cheese, fruits, and so on, this will soon become your favorite kitchen utensil thanks to its many wonderful features.
- Versatile use for baking and grilling
- Designed to enhance healthy cooking by removing excess oil
- Perfect size for standard ovens
- Very affordably priced
- The non-stick coating makes cleanup easy
10. Basic Broiler Pan
Although there isn’t much to say about the name of this product, its quality, durability, and price speak for themselves. This non-stick boiler pan makes it super easy to use and clean up afterward, and that’s why it is a firm favorite of a lot of people who cook every day.
The bottom tray can be used separately to roast or bake while the top tray has slots that allow for even heat distribution. It works well in most ovens and if you’re searching for an easy, affordable, and reliable way to produce healthier meals for your family every day, then this is something you should seriously consider.
The pan fits perfectly in standard ovens and is super easy to clean. All you need to do is soak it in hot soapy water for a few minutes until the baked-on grease and foodstuffs come off easily with minimal scrubbing.
- Extremely easy to clean and maintain
- Non-stick coating for easy use
- Bottom tray can be used for baking and roasting
- Ideal for use in most ovens
- Designed to facilitate healthier cooking
Buying Guide: Things To Consider When Buying A Broiler Pan
In an effort to make it easier for you to make your final buying decision, we have listed all the features that you need to consider before choosing from the best broiler pans available. Consider each of the factors carefully according to your needs and requirements.
You need to take a look at the materials used in manufacturing the broiler pan. Consider things like the strength of the product, its durability, and its overall design. This is important because the type of material used in constructing the broiler pan determines the level of healthy cooking you’re going to be able to achieve with the utensil as it affects effective heat management, among other things.
It’s also important to determine if the materials used in constructing the pan are safe for cooking. The material will also give you an idea as to the non-stick properties of the pan. So when looking at a product that you would like to buy, check if it has aluminum as an attractive and secondary layer, or if it has a porcelain surface that offers non-stickiness. You can also look out for carbon or steel core material, which is great for offering efficient heat retention.
Yet another important feature that you need to consider is the pan’s versatility. What types of items can you prepare using the broiler pan? There are some pans that are designed for preparing meat only, and this might not be suitable for your needs. Other pans can also be used for snacks, and there are others that you can cook pretty much anything in.
Although the capacity to prepare a wide variety of dishes might not be your only determining factor, it’s very important in order to ensure that your broiler pan doesn’t limit your creativity in the kitchen. Just remember to consider all the factors together so that you don’t end up compromising on the quality in your search for versatility.
3. Cleaning and Maintenance
For most people, cleaning is a hassle that they would rather do without. So when buying something like a broiler pan, it’s important to ensure that it’s easy to clean so you don’t have to spend countless hours in the kitchen scrubbing away after every meal.
With regards to broiler pans, finding one that easy to clean isn’t just about convenience, it’s also about ensuring safe food consumption since you’ll be cooking a great number of meals in your broiler pan.
A lot of broiler pans are dishwasher safe, but it’s important to note that this can impact the longevity of your utensil. It’s always better if you’re able to wash them by hand to get the best results possible. So whether your pan is dishwasher-safe or not, you need to be sure that it’s easy to clean and maintain.
The size of your chosen pan is important for two main reasons. The first one is that you have to be sure your broiler pan will fit into the oven you use, and the next being that you want to ensure that it provides ample surface area for cooking.
This means that you have to check the dimensions of the broiler pan before you make your purchase. A smaller size broiler pan may be easier to transport, use, and clean, but it will be unsuitable for cooking larger meals.
So if you have a large family, it may not be practical to purchase a smaller sized broiler pan. This type of feature is something that you need to decide on (and prioritize accordingly) depending on your particular situation.
How To Cook With A Broiler Pan
Cooking with a broiler pan is quick and easy to accomplish. This is a classic oven method that allows you to quickly prepare dishes with meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and even fruit. You can broiler a burger, steak, or anything else for your meal so you can get dinner on the table in the quickest time possible.
Broiling simply means cooking food using direct, dry heat from the oven broiler. Broiled foods are brown on the surface and have a caramelized taste. Most foods take about 5-15 minutes only to cook, with prep and cleanup being super easy. All you need to do to use your broiler is to line the pan with aluminum foil which helps to catch grease and prevents heavy cleanup later on.
Set the boiler rack within the main pan and then arrange your food in a single layer on the rack. Make sure you leave about 2 inches of space between the pieces of food which will allow for the hot air to circulate all around it and cook the food evenly. Alternatively, you can place the food directly in the pan, but make sure that you flip the food halfway through the broiling time if you are not using the rack.
Cleaning The Broiler Pan
Because a KitchenAid broiler pan is subjected to a lot of high heat, this effectively bakes food residue and stubborn grease into them. The only way to avoid stubborn stains is to clean your broiler pan thoroughly after each use. But don’t worry, with the right cleaning techniques you will be able to keep your broiler pan looking and performing its best while keeping the scrubbing to be a minimum.
- Method #1: Soak It
Sometimes all your broiler pan needs is a good soak. Fill your sink with hot water and add some soap as well as a capful of ammonia. Don’t mix bleach with ammonia because this may produce harmful gas. If your sink is not large enough for you to be able to fully submerge the pan, you can use a big plastic tub instead.
After soaking the pan for about half an hour, the cooked-on food will come off easily with light scrubbing. Just remember to avoid using abrasive brushes or cleaners as they tend to damage the finish on the pan.
- Method #2: Use Grease Fighters
If the pan is especially greasy or if it is covered in stubborn stains that have been baked on, you can skip the ammonia and instead heat the pan in the oven for a few minutes until it’s too hot to touch using bare hands.
You can then remove the pan from the oven and set it over the sink. Mix a cup of apple cider vinegar with a couple of tablespoons of sugar then smear the mixture over the top of the broiler. You should be able to wipe off the grease using a wet sponge after about an hour. Light scrubbing or a second treatment may be necessary if the stains and grease are especially tough.
Substitute For Broiler Pan
They are many perfect substitutes to using broiler pans. But since a broiler pan can withstand extremely high levels of heat, it’s important to choose a substitute that has the same properties. Don’t use casseroles or glass dishes when broiling because these can’t withstand the same high temperatures.
- Roasting Pan
The first alternative to a broiling pan is a roasting pan. Roasting pans are large pans or pots that are used to roast meat in the oven. For the most part, the material used in making a broiler pan is the same as the one used for roasting pans, typically stainless steel, hard anodized aluminum, or enameled steel.
All these materials can withstand very high temperatures. Many roasting pans come with racks that can be placed over the pan, and this makes a roasting pan one of the best substituents for a broiling pan.
- Cast Iron Pan or Pot
Iron is a great conductor of heat and that’s why cast iron cookware is very popular these days. It allows the heat to evenly distribute throughout the surface which results in food that gets cooked thoroughly both inside and out.
These types of utensils are therefore a perfect choice when it comes to broiling. If you already have a good quality cast iron pan or post, then you may not need to shell out for a broiler pan.
- Baking Tray
It’s also possible to use a baking tray if you don’t have a broiler pan. Just make sure before you use the baking tray, that it can withstand the broiler heat. You can find out this information from the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Aluminum Foil Tray
When you absolutely have no other option left, this is an alternative that can come in handy. It comes with the advantage that an aluminum foil tray is very cheap to buy and it’s also disposable, which means there’s no scrubbing or cleaning afterward.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Broiler Pans
Q-1: What are the benefits of broiling?
- Broiling comes with a lot of benefits not least of which is the fact that, unlike grilling, it takes less preparation and requires less cleaning up afterward. As far as the health benefits are concerned, broiling actually reduces the fat in meat which means your dishes will be healthier.
- It also cooks food faster using less oil. Most times it doesn’t even require any oil since the high heat releases the juices from the meat and cooks in them. This way of cooking is great for even fragile cuts of meat such as chicken slices or the thinly sliced steak.
Q-2: Why do I need to replace my broiler pan?
- Although broiler pans are great for promoting healthy ways of cooking meals, they do present a problem when food starts sticking to the surface. Whether you’re cooking meat, potatoes, fish, vegetables, or fruits, it’s impossible to prevent some of the food from sticking to the pan while it’s cooking and this leads to the eventual degrading of the non-stick coating on the pan.
- Over time, this can have a significant impact on the way your dishes cook and in order to prevent this from happening, the best thing may be to replace the worn out pan with a new, fully-coated one. There also ways of prolonging the life of your pan particularly by ensuring that you clean it properly after each use.
Q-3: What kind of meals can I cook in a broiler pan?
- You can cook all types of dishes using your broiler pan – it’s not just for meat. You can also cook vegetables, fish, cheese, fruits, and basically anything else you can imagine. Most broiler pans are designed to be versatile when it comes to the types of food you can cook. In addition to that, they allow you to make your food healthy since they require less oil for cooking, if at all.
Q-4: Are there different types of broiler pans?
- Broiler pans are simple in design and straightforward when it comes to their use. They are comprised of a rack where you place your food and the pan to catch dripping underneath. These are two aspects of broiler pans that are common to all of them.
- However, there is some variety to these components depending on which brand you consider. Things like the shape, configuration, weight, and so on can vary widely from one brand to another. Some have creative and innovative designs while others are more traditional-looking.
- Some broiler pans even have a top rack that can be specialized to allow accommodation of different types of food as well as to achieve various grill marks on food placed on the device. But whether you choose an aluminum, steel, or cast iron broiler pan, the results are the same.
Q-5: Can I use a regular pan for broiling?
- This depends on the type of material used in the construction of your pan. Some materials cannot withstand high heat while others can, so you need to ensure that your pan will be able to withstand the high broiling heat before placing it in the oven. In addition to that, make sure your pan doesn’t have plastic or wooden handles prior to using it for broiling.
So now you know there’s a lot more to broiler pans than you imagined. The good news is you can use our review list and buying guide to help you make the best choice for your needs. There’s no need to spend hours weighing the pros and cons anymore since we’ve made the job so much easier for you.
All you have to do now is take a look at all the factors that you need to consider before making your choice and once you’ve decided, you can pick the right product for you from any one of our 10 of the best broiler pans that you’ll find on the market right now.