There are a lot of crucial considerations that need to be made when choosing a fishing kayak. One of those has to do with size. All kayaks have a maximum weight capacity, and while for some this figure is low, for others it a lot higher which makes this type of watercraft the best fishing kayak for big guys. So if you’re a big, tall, or heavy guy (or gal) this article will help you pick out the right kayak for you.
It’s important to know that just because you’re looking for a kayak for a large person doesn’t mean that any kayak with a high maximum weight capacity will do. Not all kayaks are made the same. They differ widely in their engineering, specifications, and manufacturing. If you are interested, go through our other review about Kayak Fishing Life Vest.
Read our review and buying guide to find out how you can pick a kayak that’s not only going to support your weight but also offer many other key features to make your fishing experience the best it can be.
- Which Type of Kayak is Ideal for the Big Guys?
- Things to Consider When Buying a Fishing Kayak For Big Guys
- The Best Fishing Kayaks for Big Guys Reviews:
- 1. SunDolphin Sit-in Kayak
- 2. Lifetime Tandem Kayak
- 3. Vibe Sit-on Kayak
- 4. SunDolphin Aruba 10-Ft Kayak
- 5. BKC UH-TK181 Sit-on Kayak
- 6. Ocean Sit-on Kayak
- 7. Perception Pro Sit-on Kayak
- 8. Elkton Inflatable Kayak
- 9. Sea Eagle Inflatable Kayak
- 10. Advanced Elements Inflatable Kayak
- 11. Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
- 12. BKC RA220 11.6’ Single Fishing Kayak
- 13. Vibe Kayaks Skipjack Angler
- 14. Brooklyn Kayak Company UH-FK184
- 15. Driftsun Rover 220 Inflatable Tandem White-Water Kayak
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
10 Best Fishing Kayak for Big Guys: Our Recommendation
Which Type of Kayak is Ideal for the Big Guys?
As you’ve seen from our reviews and our buying guide, there’s more than one type of kayak that is ideal for big guys. The main thing to consider is to check if the kayak you choose has the right maximum weight capacity for your needs. You also need to ensure that you have enough room to sit comfortably, as well as that your feet are not cramped when sitting.
Choosing a kayak with a nice wide cockpit design will help to ensure that you stay comfortable during your fishing trips. Picking the best fishing kayak for big guys do not have to be a tricky process. Whether you opt for a sea-touring kayak, a fishing kayak where you sit on top, one way you sit inside, or a freestyle/whitewater kayak, just make sure that the cockpits or deck area offers ample space for your needs.
Having said that, big and tall people need to consider longer kayaks that slice through the water a lot easier and are a lot more stable thanks to a larger surface area being in contact with water. On our list, you’ll find the best kayak for a tall man.
However, if you intend to fish in smaller, shallower streams, a shorter kayak might work better when navigating those types of waters. Just keep in mind that a kayak that’s wide in the middle is more stable than one with a narrower waist. So to recap, here’s a quick summary of all the things you need to consider when selecting the right type of kayak for your needs:
- Consider the load capacity
- Check out the kayak’s width and length
- Gauge the ease of getting into and out of the kayak
- Consider the comfort and room in the kayak
The bottom line is, kayaks that are designed for you to sit on top are the ones that are highly recommended for you if you’re on the larger side. They come with a cockpit that is bigger making it easier for you to get in and out without rocking the boat, so to speak.
These types of kayaks are unlikely to tip over in the allow you to sit comfortably while paddling with your legs in front, on top of the vessel rather than inside. This means you get a lot of legroom without sacrificing any of your storage space which you need for your fishing gear and all your other valuables.
Things to Consider When Buying a Fishing Kayak For Big Guys
Choosing the best fishing kayak for big guys doesn’t have to be a frustrating or overwhelming process. Listed below are a few important factors that you need to consider before buying one, and if you give careful thought to these you will be able to make the best choice for your needs.
1. Weight Capacity
When considering the weight capacity of your kayak, you’re not thinking only of your weight as an individual. You also have to think of the weight of the equipment or gear that you’re going to carry. In addition to that, take into consideration the weight of all those massive fish you’re going to be catching.
Add all this up to ensure that you remain safely under the kayak’s weight limit. Kayak weight capacity varies quite a lot but since you’re looking for one for a large person, then you obviously going to be looking at the higher end of the range to ensure that your time spent on the water will be comfortable and productive.
2. Kayak Weight
The second most important issue you need to consider is what the kayak actually weights. This is something that may or may not be important to you depending on how you intend to transport your kayak. A lot of users tend to gravitate toward inflatable kayaks since they are a lot lighter and extremely easy to transport.
It’s up to you what the ideal option is, and it all comes down to individual preference as well as your particular situation.
If you are looking for a kayak for a heavy person, the material is something that’s important to consider as it hugely affects the performance and durability of the vessel. For instance, if you choose an inflatable kayak, it’s important to make sure that it’s made of high-quality, high-density, durable plastic.
Taking the time to choose the right materials will help you to not only prevent accidents from happening, but it will also mean that you’ll be able to enjoy many great fishing trips in your kayak for a long time to come.
If you’re a big guy or girl then you already know what a hassle it can be trying to get in and out of a small kayak. And even after you’ve managed to squeeze yourself into one, your whole fishing trip can be spoiled if you’re uncomfortable the entire time.
That’s why it’s important to ensure that there is ample room for you to be comfortable when choosing the best fishing kayak for large guys. In addition to making sure that there’s enough space in the footwell, you also need to make sure that the kayak is wide enough too.
You also need to check out the seat that you’ll be sitting on for hours on end during those fishing outings to ensure that it’s wide enough for your girth and that it has enough padding to keep your posterior nicely cushioned the entire time you’re on the water.
As previously mentioned, it’s important to consider how you’ll be moving your kayak from one place to another. The weight plays an important role in the portability of the product you choose. This is where inflatable kayaks have an advantage over their non-inflatable counterparts.
For those of you who plan to be launching and landing kayaks, it’s vital to consider the grab handles. If you’re opting for a heavier kayak, you need to make sure that the handles are strong enough to allow you to take the kayak to the water.
When selecting the right kayak for your needs, one of the main considerations has to do with whether you want a regular kayak or an inflatable model. Both types of kayaks come with their own advantages and disadvantages. The main advantages of an inflatable kayak are its lightweight nature, ease of transportation, and ease of storage.
However, inflatable kayaks also come with a major disadvantage – the main one being the issue of punctures. Something else you need to decide on when choosing the type of kayak that’s going to be best for your needs is whether you want to be sitting on top of it or inside of the kayak. Although this has to do with usability, it mostly comes down to personal preferences as to which option feels better for you.
How wide your kayak is is important for many reasons. The main one is that the width affects the stability and therefore the safety of your kayak. A higher width gives you a higher level of stability which makes it easier and more secure for you to navigate the waters.
An increase in width also means that there’s an increased surface area of the kayak on the water. This affects the speed and calls for more effort from the user.
Now that you know all the factors you need to consider before choosing the right kayak for yourself, take some time to go through each of them and decide what’s most important to you.
The Best Fishing Kayaks for Big Guys Reviews:
1. SunDolphin Sit-in Kayak
This is one of the most outstanding products that you’ll find on the market today. That’s why it has made it to the top of our list as the ultimate fishing kayak for big guys. This Aruba 12 is not only made of high-quality raw materials with amazing craftsmanship, but it’s also extremely affordable too.
The rugged UV-stabilized polyethylene which makes up this boat is a signature feature of this brand’s kayaks. The material is high-density and leverages the durability of the boat while efficiently preventing discoloration due to the sun’s rays.
Polyethylene material is very lightweight, which is a feature that most people will appreciate – particularly if you have to move your boat around a lot. This kayak is exceptionally easy to maneuver and to carry from one point to another. Its lightweight feature also allows you to quickly turn in the water without flipping off.
The extraordinary strength of this kayak makes it a great choice for anyone who has a large physical build. The open cockpit design offers spacious seating with adjustable foot braces suitable for newbies and experts alike.
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- UV-stabilized high-density polyethylene
- paddles and tracks with ease and stability
- Flush-mounted fishing rod holders
- Portable accessory carrier for extra storage
2. Lifetime Tandem Kayak
This kayak isn’t just a recreational toy for solo or tandem use, it’s also a great choice for fishing, especially if you’re a beginner. It has a built-in rod holder as well as huge cargo storage – two great features that make this kayak stand out from the rest.
The cargo compartments in this kayak are located just at the bow end of the vessel. It’s spacious and offers enough room for food, drinks, and fishing equipment. It also comes with added shock straps to allow you to easily fasten everything in there securely.
The paddles that come with the Lifetime Tandem Kayak offer yet another amazing advantage. At 7 feet in length, and crafted from durable, high-quality aluminum, these paddles are lightweight and easy to control which helps in reducing paddle fatigue. They also have an adjustable symmetrical shape that fits a lot of different paddling styles.
The 500-pound weight capacity makes this an ideal choice if you’re a big guy. It also means that this boat would be great for a small family of two adults with one kid or a pet to enjoy their weekend kayaking trips together. This is a well-constructed boat that will withstand massive loads while keeping extreme stability. If you’re looking for the best big man fishing kayak, this could be it.
- Multiple footrest positions ideal for different size riders
- Includes two double-sided paddles and paddle clips
- Comes with three fishing pole holders and 6-inch storage hatch
- Hull is designed to offer enhanced stability
- Made from high-density polyethylene for durability and strength
3. Vibe Sit-on Kayak
The vibe seacoast has a hull that boasts unmatched stability as well as superior tracking – both of which allow you to venture even farther than ever before. The design of this kayak focuses on enhancing stability and speed to give you perfect balance during your adventure.
With this kayak, you’ll be able to get to wherever you’re going with much less effort. And, when you get there, you’ll be able to stand. The customizable work deck on this kayak is one that anglers will absolutely love. The gear space and 500-pound hauling capacity all mean that you can bring as much of your gear as you need for your fishing trip. This kayak will take all that and more, on top of your own weight.
The rigging and storage options, as well as the integrated rudder system, make this kayak one of the most advanced premium fishing watercraft of its kind. It certainly has the greatest assortment of storage and features compared to other products in its class. If you’re looking for the best kayak for big guy or gal anglers, this one should be among your top considerations.
- Engineered for extreme stability while standing or sitting
- Slick hull design for fast, nimble tracking
- Toe-controlled rudder saves energy during long paddles
- 550-lb capacity kayak with a comfortable 2-position seat
- Adjustable foot braces ideal for larger people
4. SunDolphin Aruba 10-Ft Kayak
As with the other offering on our list from the SunDolphin brand, this kayak is made with high-quality materials and exhibits some of the best craftsmanship available out there. This is a great kayak for all water enthusiasts whether you’re a beginner, intermediate level, or an expert.
The rugged UV-stabilized high-density polyethylene construction of the kayak hull ensures that this vessel is durable and strong. It comes with a deluxe adjustable, comfortable seat that has high back support as well as adjustable foot braces. This means that this kayak will be ideal for people of varying sizes and stances.
The vessel comes with carrying handles which makes it a lot easier to move it from one place to another. It also features a convenient water bottle holder as well as a storage hatch to keep all your important items safe during your fishing adventure.
If you’re searching for the best kayaks for big guys, then this is undoubtedly one of the best options you are going to find right now. It’s also priced to offer extreme value for money making it a no-brainer if you’re on the larger side.
- The kayak comes with carrying handles for easy transport
- Includes a water bottle and convenient storage space
- UV-stabilized high-density polyethylene construction for durability
- Adjustable foot braces for comfortable seating
- Very affordable pricing for a high-quality product
5. BKC UH-TK181 Sit-on Kayak
BKC (Brooklyn Kayak Company) has gone above and beyond to ensure that all its customers will be happy and satisfied with its product. This two-person kayak is perfect for any ocean fishing excursions. It’s also extremely easy to paddle solo thanks to the sleek design which can support plenty of weight while keeping its stability and enhancing speed.
This kayak is nimble and steady whether there is one person or two sitting on it. Thanks to its 440-pound load capacity, this is the ideal fishing kayak for big guys. It comes with three fishing rod holders which are adjustable. It also has four flush-mount holders which give you an edge while angling.
Two compartments keep your gear and other valuables safe and dry and you’re able to store larger items in the rear cargo area. The kayak also has eight scupper holes, which means that even when water splashes on the vessel, it quickly drains out through those holes.
This vessel comes with two premium-quality 86-inch aluminum paddles and the convenient paddle rests let you go hands-free at any time during your fishing trip without worrying about losing your paddles.
- Includes two deluxe seats
- Comes with multiple carrying handles for easy transport
- Secure cargo area keeps all valuables safe and try
- Paddle rests keep paddles safe
- Includes seven rod-holders for multiple lines in the water
6. Ocean Sit-on Kayak
The Ocean Sit-on Kayak is among the most popular sit-on-top kayaks in the world. This is unsurprising when you consider its compact, lightweight design which allows you to take on both ocean and freshwater adventures with ease.
This tandem kayak is ideal for peddlers of any skill level thanks to its tri-hull construction which allows for greater stability on calm rivers and moderate waves alike. This kayak can be peddled in tandem or solo and offers ample seating for either one big adult or two average-sized adults with a small child or pet.
You’ll be able to sit on top of this kayak with confidence thanks to its safe, simple, and easy to board design. You can get in and out of the water easily, and unlike a lot of other traditional kayaks, this one features an open cockpit which is non-confining. Such a design is perfect for those who love kayaking but find kayaks with closed hulls a little claustrophobic.
- Kayak offers three sitting positions
- Overlapping footwells for easy bracing
- Includes molded-in handles for convenient transport
- Maximum weight capacity of 425 pounds
- Hull comes with a lifetime warranty
7. Perception Pro Sit-on Kayak
According to the manufacturer, this is the ultimate kayak for all avid anglers and it will allow you to put a lot more fish in your boat. It’s easy to see why they would make such a claim. This kayak leads the pack thanks to its extreme fishing performance, comfort, and stability.
The sit-on-top design is great for those who want extra storage. The vessel also comes with a lot of accessory mount options which make it easy for you to outfit it if you’re going for an all-day excursion. It also has an adjustable and removable camp chair that is extremely comfortable to sit on no matter how long you’re on the water.
You have increased maneuverability and easy transport with this kayak thanks to its shorter length and lightweight features. This allows you the opportunity to fish quiet waters that are beyond the reach of many other boaters.
If you’re searching for a big fishing kayak with innovative features that will ensure a safe, exciting, and fun fishing adventure, this could very well be what you’re looking for.
- Ideal for beginners as well as pro anglers
- Fast, stable, and tracks straight in all conditions
- Adjustable and removable camp chair
- Convenient storage keeps gear safe and dry
- Compatible with Pescador paddles
8. Elkton Inflatable Kayak
Designed with avid anglers in mind, this inflatable kayak is built to last thanks to its high-quality, durable components. It features 18-gauge PVC, an ultra-thick tarpaulin, as well as a rugged nylon cover. All these will offer you years of use with proper care.
This fishing kayak is designed with adjustable seats to give you extra comfort. It comes with two vertical rod holders, two full-action rod holders, and two trawling rod holders. You can set up your rods in a wide variety of combinations in order to get the ultimate catch.
All in all, this boat is designed to meet and exceed the expectations of fishermen everywhere. It also has six mesh pockets as well as mesh storage bags which allow you to store gear throughout your kayak.
There is no doubt that you will experience the best catch of your life thanks to this kayak. If you’re looking for a comfortable and durable inflatable kayak, this is possibly the best big man fishing kayak you’ll find.
- Comes equipped with six-rod holders
- Includes ample mesh storage space
- Premium seats that are easy to connect and adjust
- Includes plenty of accessories such as the pump, carry packs, and paddles
- Easy to diagnose, repair, and adjust the kayak
9. Sea Eagle Inflatable Kayak
This kayak will easily hold two people and their camping gear for an entire week. This means that if you’re a particularly big guy, then this is the kayak for you. Created for the most demanding situations, this vessel allows you to pack a lot of gear while staying well beneath the maximum weight capacity.
The Sea Eagle inflatable kayak is as tough and durable as they come. With a weight capacity of up to 750 pounds, it far exceeds a lot of traditional kayaks out there. With this watercraft, you’ll be you’re rocketing down Class IV rapids, and traversing miles of wilderness rivers, or flyfishing in remote and obscure fishing sites that other fishermen simply cannot access.
This kayak deflates easily and stores away in a handy carry bag to make it easy for you to transport it. If you’re searching for the perfect kayak for your adventure, this is one you should consider. The high-pressure fabric, polyester-supported with quadruple thickness electronically-welded seams as been mercilessly tested to ensure its strength and durability.
- Backed by a three-year warranty
- Extra tough kayak holds over 750 pounds of weight
- High-pressure fabric resists punctures
- Comes with a carrying bag and stole bags
- Includes repair kit and instructions
10. Advanced Elements Inflatable Kayak
This kayak is designed to be durable, and long-lasting. Its compact, lightweight design makes it ideal for recreational use. This inflatable kayak also comes equipped with a lot of amazing features which make it ideal for spending lots of time on the water.
It has an easy-to-use pump for quick inflation as well as rigid built-in panels and tracking fin for incredible performance. The durable outer cover is extremely lightweight and whether you’re floating down rivers or peddling up lakes your sure to appreciate the quality and stability of this recreational watercraft.
- Improved tracking thanks to built-in rigid panels
- Unique outer cover enhances durability
- Lightweight design for easy transport
- Twist-lock valves for quick setup time
- Tracking fin and landing plate for improved performance
11. Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
This professional series model is the perfect inflatable fishing kayak. With PVC laminate and a polyester core, the kayak is super-lightweight and will not be damaged easily. Any UV-rays, abrasions, or other impacts will not harm this amazing kayak.
With the help of inflation that is high pressured, expect this model to be rigid and stable for 2 people to ride in. No matter if you are inflating or deflating, this pro kayak can take on shallow and deep waters with ease. Included in your purchase are 2 mounted footrests, 2-bucket seats, and 2 holders for fishing rods.
If you need storage, there are storage places to tie onto the stern and bow sides of the kayak. Know that the kayak can hold two people and storage items up to 400 pounds of weight. Additional accessories you can add to your purchase include GPS systems, a fish finder, and so much more.
- Comes with a pump and 2 paddles
- Includes a booster seat
- A carrying bag holds all the items needed for this kayak
- Has 3 separate air chambers
- The kayak is over 12 feet long
12. BKC RA220 11.6’ Single Fishing Kayak
If you are looking for one legit kayak, you have come to the right place with this model from the Brooklyn Kayak Company (BKC). The first thing you should know is this kayak has 7 color options to wow you. Next, you will appreciate the rudder control, which is foot operated. Appropriate for all weather conditions, this paddle steering is simple, yet effective.
When you are fishing, you can use this kayak because it has great rod holders, so you can troll around the waters. You will not have to worry about stability with this product because it is geometrically steady with one person on-board. While using this great product, you can store cargo in waterproofed areas for a couple-day adventure.
By holding 450 pounds of weight, there is a lot you can do with this kayak. By being over 11 feet long, you can steer through waters like you never thought possible. It does not matter if you go down a creek or around a lake.
- The kayak only weighs 68 pounds
- The product is made with a metal frame
- Can easily add a fish finder to the kayak
- The seat is very comfortable to sit in
- Comes with one great paddle
13. Vibe Kayaks Skipjack Angler
This sensational recreational kayak makes you feel like you are on top of the world. With a sit-on-top seat, you can fly over the water in this 1-person kayak. In every purchase, you will receive a lightweight kayak with a paddle. You can also fish peacefully by sliding the rods into four sweet holders.
Built-in storage comes standard with this purchase as well. With a center hatch and extra storage at the bow and stern, there is not anything this kayak cannot do for you. Measuring out at 9 feet, and weighing only 42 pounds, this throw-and-go kayak is one of the easiest options you will ever run into.
Comfort is the last thing you will notice about this kayak. It is ergonomically designed with a stellar cushion and backrest. There isn’t anything this kayak cannot do for you on the waters.
- Can fit on top or the back of most SUVs
- This kayak can hold a load of 300 pounds
- Leak-proof design
- The deck is slip-resistant to prevent any falls
- Comes with one paddle for you to enjoy
14. Brooklyn Kayak Company UH-FK184
The Brooklyn Kayak Company has done it again with this next model. This 9-foot option has paddle parks, which allows you to rest your paddle when they are not in use. Additionally, they will not fall out of your boat because of the bungee cords that keep everything in place.
There are phenomenal carrying handles that do the carrying job for you. With 4 of the places in handy areas, one person or two can haul this kayak around with no problem at all. Furthermore, there are 4-rod holders, so you can troll around the waters looking for fish. During this time, you can keep your fishing poles working and deployed to catch the big one.
Waterproof storage is the last major contribution to this kayak. Perfect for storing keys, books, and snacks, you will find things for your kayak to haul around. Moreover, you can put bigger items like a cooler or tackle box in the kayak as well.
- The paddle is made of lightweight aluminum
- Kayak only weighs 44 pounds
- Can add accessories like a cup holder
- The kayak is made of heavy-duty polyethylene
- Rated to hold 450 pounds
15. Driftsun Rover 220 Inflatable Tandem White-Water Kayak
The last kayak on the list is another inflatable for you to consider. With a high-pressure flood and super padded seats, you will love the way this kayak holds up. When it comes to the seat, the high back support will keep any user comfy and cozy. In every purchase, the user will inherit the mount for an action cam, a pump, aluminum paddles, and so much more.
It will also only take you 10 minutes to inflate the kayak to perfection. At only 28 pounds, this kayak will no weigh you down. With heavy-duty PVC material, punctures will be non-existent with this product. The kayak also handles well on the roughest of waters because of its drop stitch floor. Even if the kayak does suffer a puncture, there is a repair kit that will take no time at all to fix.
- Kayak can take on Class 3 and 4 rapids
- Has 8 self-bailing ports
- Can hold up to 600 pounds of weight
- 2 adults can fit easily on this kayak
- This kayak is over 12 feet tall
- The kayak bounces off rocks and logs
- Inflates using 3 chambers
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Q-1: Are Kayaks for Big Guys More Likely to Tip-over?
- The kayaks mentioned in our review and buying guide article are extremely stable, and they won’t tip over unless if you lean your whole body for over the kayak’s side. Most people worry about what would happen if a kayak were to capsize. It’s important to learn how to execute a self-rescue when operating a kayak and if you take the appropriate steps, you have nothing to worry about.
- In fact, capsizing is extremely rare but even in that event, you’ll be able to right your vessel immediately. So as long as you use high-quality equipment and follow safety guidelines for kayaking, you will be all right.
Q-2: Is Kayaking Safe?
- When done correctly, kayaking can be a very exciting and safe activity. Of course, there’s always an inherent risk – just as with any other sport. But as stated above, if you follow all the safety kayaking guidelines and use the right type of equipment, then you will be able to experience a fun, safe, fishing trip.
- Just make sure that every time you head out to the water you have all the equipment you need to cater for every aspect of your adventure as well as any potential emergency situation that might arise.
Q-3: Do Kayaks Have Weight Limits?
- Every kayak has a weight limit. Its weight capacity depends on a number of different factors but it’s something that you definitely need to pay attention to before choosing the best fishing kayak for big guys. The good news is that it’s easy to find kayaks that have large weight capacities. Each model available on the market right now has a weight limit that will give you a general idea of what the kayak can take.
- Just remember, it’s not just about your weight only but also about your equipment as well as the fish you catch and everything else you decide to carry on your fishing adventure. So this means, for instance, that if you’re a 250-pound guy, then the number you should be looking for (after accounting for equipment and gear) is at least 350 pounds.
Q-4: Does a Longer Kayak Track Better?
- People often wonder if the length makes a difference to the way a kayak tracks. The answer is yes, longer kayaks do have some advantages over shorter ones. They are typically easier to paddle, and they are much more stable. Also, longer kayaks are capable of carrying heavier loads while exhibiting less loss in terms of performance.
- A longer Kayak will track better and move faster. It glides farther with every stroke you make compared to shorter boats. This allows for much greater efficiency using less effort.
Q-5: Is It Better to Sit in or on a Kayak?
- The simple answer to that question is: It depends. Peddlers who love to stay dry as they paddle will find seat-inside kayaks more appealing. To them, a kayak is more of a travel vehicle than a toy. The downside to those types of kayaks is that they don’t offer you as much freedom when it comes to moving into and out of the water.
The bottom line is that kayak fishing is a fun and exciting activity to do alone or with family and friends. It also comes with a lot of health benefits. However, to ensure that you stay safe during your fishing adventure, it’s important to ensure that you choose the best fishing kayak for big guys.
Just read through our buying guide and once you’ve made your decision based on the factors listed there you can then make your choice from our list of the 10 best options available on the market right now.